Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
21 posts
30,232 visits

Financial aid for kids with Aspergers Syndrome

show starting post by Elilssa
Show newest posts...
Does anyone know if there are any scholarships or other financial aid for students with Aspergerber's who are going into high school. My 13 year old grandson, diagnosed with Asperberger's and ADHD, has been experiencing many extreme difficulties with social relationships including bullying. His grades have plummeted and he is having numerous physical problems which the professionals believe are not organic in nature. The middle school has been extremely supportive, but this will not be the situation at the high school. His parents have located a great school where the student population is made up of approximately 40% of students with Aspergers and there are openings.It is a fabulous opportunity, however the tuition is far beyond their means. We have little time and are becoming desperate. I've even considered homeschooling him myself, but know that it is not a good solution. Any leads to some resources would be greatly appreciated.
Talk to Grobbiemar
 in response to Ms. Meme...   Since you have stated your child has an IQ of 150, I'm assuming he has already been given an intelligence test. If that is the case, contact your public school district and request testing for the gifted/talented program. If he qualifies, this is an incredible enrichment program to meet his specific needs.
Talk to GodlyGal
Ms. Meme
I have a six,soon to be 7 year old son who has been diagnosed with ADHD and Aspbergers disorder. He attends a public school in Illinois. I am looking for a private school, and scholarship information for him. He is very intelligent, he need to be adequately challenged. They took him out of kindergarten and put him in 1st grade last school year. Now he is in 2nd grade. he has an IQ of 150 at the age of 4. Can anybody give me any advice, or have any suggeations as to school for him. He is currently reading 215 wpm... He is a t 3rd and 4th grade math.
Talk to Ms. Meme
I have the same question as Elilssa. My Son was diagnosed with ADHD and Aspergers. He was 10, now he is 22 and doing so well, but it is taking him a little longer to adjust. But his grades are good. I need help finding a bit more to help pay his next semester. How do I find the applications?
Talk to holycowname
mom counting down to college

Colleges are not required to provide an IEP and they don't.  When it comes to academic support services you can expect to find three different levels:  Basic, Coordinated Services and Structured Programs or Comprehensive Services.

 Basic Services is nothing more than compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and physical access under the Americans with Disabilities Act.  The academic support that they do provide is not just geared to students with learning disabilities, Aspergers or other disabilities but is developed to be applicable to all students.

Coordinated Services is probably operated by a central clearinghouse on campu such as a Disability Resource Center and supported by other departments on campus and student progress is monitored.

Structured Programs or Comprehensive Services require a separate admissions process and there are additional fees.  The program is highly individualized with low student/staff ratios.

There are a few colleges who do offer the Structured Programs.  Some good publications that will help you identify these schools inclued:  The K & W Guide to Colleges for Students with Learning Disabilities or ADHD, College for Students with Learning Disabilities or ADHD and also take a look at Preparing Students with Disabilities for College:  A Practical Guide for Transition.

A Thanks to our high school district Hinsdale District 181 for putting on a wonderful evening with Dr. Nancy Singer from the University of Arizona and the information above which she provided.

Talk to mom counting down to college

My Asperger's son had a full scholarship at a local university.  He got into a disagreement with an online instructor (only he could do that) and ended up with an 'F'.  Because of that he didn't acquire the necessary hours to keep his full scholarship.  Please convince your child to find the disability office at the institute of higher education they are attending and get an IEP in place.  Also convince them to sign a FERPA (not sure what it stands for but after 18, a child is the master of his/her own destiny and because of privacy laws, you cannot participate without the FERPA).

Whoever posted about the hidden scholarships within Pell grants...please tell me more.




Talk to hsmomof4
Aspie Girl


I'm an adult who has Asperger's Syndrome and I not only attended but completed college in the state where I'm from. Currently, I'm looking to go back to college and obtain a bachelor's degree. If you are looking for scholarships for your son, try googling scholarships and check about Pell funding through the federal government there are a number of other hidden scholarships through the Pell grant and also check with your local rehabilitation sevices.

I hope that this helps you:)-Aspie girl 


Talk to Aspie Girl
Some one like you

Here's one

Good luck

Talk to Some one like you

Please let me know if you get a response to your question.  My son is now 18 and was diagnoised with Asperger's about 10 years ago.  Same situation, community training college in a year and a half.



Talk to Kaosgirl